Discontinued -- For Reference Only. For new purchases, please consider an ArbotiX.
The MINI robocontroller is designed for small robots. It incorporates a powerful AVR microcontroller, XBEE wireless radio socket, dual motor drivers, and 3-pin servo-style headers for IO.
The board includes all circuitry needed to control a small differential drive robot. It can also easily control up to 4 servos.
See the user manual here.
- 16MHz AVR microcontroller (ATMEGA168).
- 20 I/O, 6 of which can function as analog inputs.
- Servo style 3-pin headers (gnd, vcc, signal) on all 6 analog inputs, and 4 of the digital IO
- Dual 1A motor drivers, with combined motor/encoder header.
- XBEE radios sold separately. A typical setup will require 2 XBEE radios and an XBEE explorer to be able to wirelessly control your robot from your computer.
- This board requires either an FTDI cable or ISP. We recommend the Sparkfun FTDI breakout.
- 2.4”x2.4” with mounting holes in each corner.
The MINI is compatible with the Arduino environment right out of the box. In addition to standard Arduino libraries, we have developed a suite called RoboControllerLib, which includes:
- Motors - a library for using the motor drivers.
- Encoders - A library for using quadrature encoders.
- A number of libraries for various sensors, such as IR and sonar ranging sensors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use the FTDI cable at the same time as an XBEE?
A: No, you will have to remove the XBEE for the FTDI cable to work properly.
- Install the Arduino IDE - The first step is to install the Arduino IDE, which will allow you to program your MINI.
- Install the RoboController Library - which allows easy usage of the motors, encoders, and many sensors.
- Configure ISP for Download -
The final step of setup is to configure for an In-System Programmer, if you are using an FTDI cable, you're
already done with setup, just select "Arduino Diecimila, Duemilanove, or Nano w/ ATmega168" as your board type
and skip to step 4.
Make sure that the Arduino IDE is not running, then open your preferences.txt file. Edit the line that says upload.using= to:
- upload.using=avrispv2 if using the older Pololu ISP
- upload.using=usbtinyisp if using the USB Tiny ISP
avrispv2.name=AVRISP V2 avrispv2.communication=serial avrispv2.protocol=stk500v2
- Read the Manual- to learn how to connect other hardware to the MINI.
There are a number of sites with Arduino-related information. The Arduino website has a large amount of documentation about using the Arduino and embedded programming. Documentation for the RoboController library can be found here. The Trossen Robotics Forum can be a great resource for finding information and trouble shooting once you've got the basics down.